Woo, computer parts

General nonsense that doesn't fit anywhere else

Moderator: Minecraft Moderators

suicidal_banana
Minecraft IGN: suicidal_banana

Woo, computer parts

Post by suicidal_banana » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:51 pm

So, ive been mostly disconnected from all you guys the past months, and while i was away ive been working ridiculous hours, like 60-70 a week, but 2 days ago i pretty much forced my employer to pay me back (some of) the overhours as hardware, and they just got delivered 8-)

Image Comming from a 2.4ghz quad cpu, dx11 with 1,5gb ram gpu, and a faily basic socket 775 mobo, this is quite the hughe jump up in specs :mrgreen:

Near the end of the month ill buy me some fancy ram (still contemplating on how much gb) and a ssd, and maybe a fancy zalman cpu fan, and then i should be back amongst the gaming again in no time.

Any hints on nice ram/ssd's appreciated, i used to be all about seagate for hdd's but appearantlly they suck nowadays(?) and for ram i really dont have a clue, not even sure what brand i had in my last pc.

knutremi
Minecraft IGN: knutremi

Re: Woo, computer parts

Post by knutremi » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:26 pm

When it comes to RAM, I say you should prioritize performance over amount. Go for a high clock frequency, as long as your mobo supports it. And go for a low CAS latency given it's available with your chosen frequency.

Here's an example comparison of a few different sticks of RAM. I'd prioritize frequency first, then low latency, then the size of the cooling ribs, then the price and finally the amount of memory. 8 GB is usually more than enough. If you've got 16 GB you probably won't run into memory related performance issues at all.

As for SSD, figure out how much space your system drive takes up without your personal files (maybe sans a huge game or two as well), then pick SSD's with slightly more storage space, a high read speed, high write speed, preferably S.M.A.R.T. and Trim, and a low price. Here's an example list you could compare.

Keep in mind that those lists are old, and there are probably better choices on the market already.
Don't beat yourself up.

zsdrfty
Minecraft IGN: zsdrfty

Post by zsdrfty » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:08 pm

If you can deal with the several months of insanity, Windows 8 users can get Windows 10 for free if you don't want to pay.
EVEN NOW, THE EVIL SEED OF WHAT YOU'VE DONE GERMINATES WITHIN YOU

suicidal_banana

Post by suicidal_banana » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:31 pm

Thanks for the tips knut, and zsdrfty, ill prolly be going Win10, but for now ill stick to Win7, i dont really see "you get a free update to 10" as a valid reason to get windows 8.

zsdrfty

Post by zsdrfty » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:40 pm

suicidal_banana wrote:Thanks for the tips knut, and zsdrfty, ill prolly be going Win10, but for now ill stick to Win7, i dont really see "you get a free update to 10" as a valid reason to get windows 8.
To be perfectly honest, I'm never going to soil any computer with an installation of Windows 8. :P

suicidal_banana

Post by suicidal_banana » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:50 pm

Good call 8-)

Meanwhile, i hate 8 too, but i just heard that it actually runs a shit ton better on semi-old and old machines :lol:

zsdrfty

Post by zsdrfty » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:10 pm

suicidal_banana wrote:Good call 8-)

Meanwhile, i hate 8 too, but i just heard that it actually runs a shit ton better on semi-old and old machines :lol:
I was gifted a Pentium and found a 486DX in my basement yesterday, I know that XP will run on a Pentium so I'll try it. :P