Getting your problems solved

Got anything to say that doesn't fit anywhere else?

Moderator: Minecraft Moderators

knutremi
Minecraft IGN: knutremi

Getting your problems solved

Post by knutremi » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:37 pm

Since it's been a subject lately, I thought we could discuss problem solving. And also what it takes for each of us to help solve the problems of other people. This can for instance be inconveniences in-game that takes away from your ability to play the game in your own preferred way. Or it could be the terms we play the game together on. It doesn't even have to be Minecraft. It could be how the forums work. It could be Skype notifications waking you up in the middle of the night. Or even a feeling that keeps you from talking to people. The sky was never a limit.

Common for all of these are that they're problems. And in many cases it's hard to find a solution all on your own. That's what you have your peers for. But this requires that the right premises are set first, or it might make it more difficult to solve such problems. Premises can be such things as what if there's unforeseen consequences. And whether both parties are willing to reconsider whether it's a problem. Some times one or both parties might have to settle for less. And not all problems require a lengthy discussion.

Either way, let's share and talk about what it takes to solve the problems of other people. And let's also share how we solve our own problems.
Don't beat yourself up.

Nons
Minecraft IGN: Nons

Re: Getting your problems solved

Post by Nons » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:15 pm

I'm online alot so I can solve the little problems :)
I ain't gonna get got. But if I get got, I gotta get got like I ain't get gotten got though

#MakeAlterEgoGreatAgain

knutremi
Minecraft IGN: knutremi

Re: Getting your problems solved

Post by knutremi » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:33 pm

I can solve the big problems as well. Given a bit of help and patience of course.

When it comes to server stuff, don't think of it as defects. Think of it as problems, or challenges to overcome. When making a choice I'll have to balance how it affects any number of community members against the backend effects. There are always good and bad sides to such choices. Trust me, I've experienced it first hand.

Share how the issue affects you, and be willing to discuss it. Some times you'll have to be prepared to accept a solution that might not be what you had in mind, but more or less solves the same problem. And in some cases there's even a challenge you'll have to overcome yourself, for instance as a part of the game.

Some of these things can also apply to situations that are quite different from the workings of the Minecraft server as well. Now I wanna hear a bit about how you folks solve problems, both together and alone.
Don't beat yourself up.