What's our next step?

Got anything to say that doesn't fit anywhere else?

Moderator: Minecraft Moderators

suicidal_banana
Minecraft IGN: suicidal_banana

Re: What's our next step?

Post by suicidal_banana » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:28 pm

knutremi wrote:
zsdrfty wrote:Most sandbox servers suck because they devolve into people gunning each other down and causing huge amounts of lag. We should try another game mode, like murder.
I know me and banana at least are gonna make weird physics experiments, interactive contraptions and creative structures. We can help you take part in that, and possibly even make some new ones yourselves. Back when we used to have a GMod server, the worst that happened was one or two people eventually getting too annoying resulting in us banning them. I expect a new GMod sandbox server to be pretty much the same. We can of course switch game modes from time to time though, if we get fed up with sandbox.
This, i'll admit that im not playing nearly as much Gmod these days as i used to years ago, but (unlike with MC) i do find myself returning to that time and time again, and yea, not to toot my own horn, but i can pretty much make anything in it now (not just within sandbox btw, im also fine with making custom gamemodes etc) and im more then happy to teach people things like wiremod or how to use advanced ballsockets or whatever to make incredible shiz, or you know, how to make the best ragdoll sex scenes out there :P

If we we're to go the Gmod route again, id vote for doing a serious build server, no weapons (besides maybe a crowbar) and a selection of very useful build tools (Precision Align, Spherify tool, Fin tool, etc) that should get us some decent players, the ones that wanna 'grief' (or, in gmod terms, 'minge') will quickly realize they cant, and the ones that want to build will be happy finding a server with all mayor tools and no annoying deathmatchers. Also im to this day still sort of a celebrity in the Gmod scene, so im fairly sure if i start making new stuffs (addon/gamemode wise) and testing those on the AE-C server before release (obviously after some local tests to be sure nothing breaks) we would win a bunch of users on that alone, to this day people add me on steam to beg me for a new scoreboard lol. (and ive actually recently been workin on some new cloth physics tool every now and then, so theres that) Oh and im very familiar with hosting Gmod (did it for years) so id be able to help set stuff up/maintain it with ease

More on the topic of the question in the first post, i have to say i agree with those that say we should do more games, its really what will get AE-C into the future, dont get me wrong, im pleased to see MC is still relatively big these days, but to me the game has been 'over the hump' for ages now, the people that play MC these days didn't 5 years ago, and thats what is 'going wrong' i think, we're leaning to much on the expectation that people that play MC will do so until the end of time, while realistically nobody really seems to play it for more then 2-3 years, sure new content gets added every now and then, but after a while, you've pretty much seen it all/are done with the whole graphical style of the game, and since that seems to apply to most of our userbase at this point, that means its time to branch out to other games.

Gmod to some extend has similar problems (after a while people get bored from building stuff, and in all honesty the game didn't really get any substantial updates in ages) but since theres alot more options for modding that game its easier to offer a 'unique experience' to players, not in the least because of the Steam Workshop, and its not that hard to make some changes here and there, or even do something totally different (other gamemode) when the community starts asking for it. Its also not that hard to learn (for those of us interested) how to make new mods, since everything is lua, its plaintext, you can just rip open something you download from the workshop to learn from it, something not nearly as easy with MC plugins. (for as far as im aware) Oh and the amount of wiki's and examples on Gmod lua is hughenormous these days.

I too would be open for other games, like scrap mechanic or ark, but if we want to grow fast, Gmod should likely be at the top of the list, since theres a fair amount of similarity to MC (users are pretty much only limited by time and creativity) and theres a huge community that seems to never die down.
Rocketleague or similar games could also work very well for AE-C, but personally im not sure those games 'fit' this community, since (for 95% of our userbase) it started with MC, people that are part of this community most likely like those kind of games, where you can be creative, and apart from maybe doing some sick goals, i dont really think you can be creative in games like Rocketleague.

Finally, part of me feels we need to keep looking at new and upcoming games/mp-mods, since those have the potential of becoming the new 'best thing', it would be awesome if we can repeat the 'trick' we pulled with MC, jump in the moment the game becomes big, but obviously this is super hard (near impossible) to predict.

knutremi
Minecraft IGN: knutremi

Post by knutremi » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:53 pm

suicidal_banana wrote:the people that play MC these days didn't 5 years ago, and thats what is 'going wrong' i think, we're leaning to much on the expectation that people that play MC will do so until the end of time, while realistically nobody really seems to play it for more then 2-3 years,
Except me who started playing five and a half years ago.
suicidal_banana wrote:Rocketleague or similar games could also work very well for AE-C, but personally im not sure those games 'fit' this community, since (for 95% of our userbase) it started with MC, people that are part of this community most likely like those kind of games, where you can be creative, and apart from maybe doing some sick goals, i dont really think you can be creative in games like Rocketleague.
AlterEgo is also known for survival, open world, PvE and multiplayer. We don't necessarily have to exclusively do creative sandbox. Further more, I've seen community members play dungeon crawlers, battle royale, FPS, turn based strategy, rythm games, physics sims, to name a few. I'm sure the community is open to anything enjoyable. I think it's a bonus if it's easy to pick up as well.
Don't beat yourself up.

Nons
Minecraft IGN: Nons

Post by Nons » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:56 pm

suicidal_banana wrote:Finally, part of me feels we need to keep looking at new and upcoming games/mp-mods, since those have the potential of becoming the new 'best thing', it would be awesome if we can repeat the 'trick' we pulled with MC, jump in the moment the game becomes big, but obviously this is super hard (near impossible) to predict.
Been waiting for this for quite a while since 1.9 has begun the death of Minecraft. We keep discussing it but we never do. Gmod, Rocket League, Just Cause 3, so many games we can pick from

Minecraft is a good game concept but like every game it's getting past its prime because the MC community is obsessed with Minigames and Lucky blocks. Similar to UT2004, the community needs to carry on adapting.
I ain't gonna get got. But if I get got, I gotta get got like I ain't get gotten got though

#MakeAlterEgoGreatAgain

suicidal_banana
Minecraft IGN: suicidal_banana

Post by suicidal_banana » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:36 pm

knutremi wrote:Except me who started playing five and a half years ago.
But your special :D
Agree with the other part i guess
Nons wrote:We keep discussing it but we never do.
This, although i get why (time, effort, and costs involved)