Per-region texture packs now available

Show us what you've done with Minecraft.

Moderator: Minecraft Moderators

FakeTruth
Site Admin
Minecraft IGN: FakeTruth

Re: Per-region texture packs now available

Post by FakeTruth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:39 pm

KOKATRIX wrote:
suicidal_banana wrote:Just a wild guess, you need a link that actually serves the zip, not some goddamn 'herpderp click me to download' page. ;)
https://sites.google.com/site/plsplswork/home/1.zip
...plsplswork/home/1.zip
.../1.zip
1.zip.
So what, it's still not a direct link

knutremi
Minecraft IGN: knutremi

Post by knutremi » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:52 pm

Most applications don't know how to crawl websites to get to the content they want. Especially not the Minecraft client. It's a game, not a web crawler.

All clients requesting that link from the server will be served a html page with the mimetype text/html (if I remember my HTTP correctly). That link would only have worked if Minecraft knew how to crawl html code and get the file served via HTTP request. As Minecraft is a game and not Google, naturally it can't.

You need to provide URL that serves a file with the mimetype application/zip or similar, and not text/html as your current URL does. But yeah. I saved you the hassle of either installing a web server on your computer and serving it with that, or finding a host that allows you to make direct links to your files:

Code: Select all

http://knutremi.com/files/minecraft/1.zip
Don't beat yourself up.

KOKATRIX
Minecraft IGN: Xytarez

Post by KOKATRIX » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:16 pm

thx knut.
so how do i actually check the directness of a link? i used to think links that end in .extension and lemme dowload the *.extension file when i click it are direct.

also suddenly i think it's not minecraft fault but a mod's fault. it's the mod that cannot crawl to the actual content provided by the link. isnt it?
Minecraft Name: Xytarez
Member of AlterEgo clan since 21.04.2008 =)

FakeTruth
Site Admin
Minecraft IGN: FakeTruth

Post by FakeTruth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:27 pm

KOKATRIX wrote:i used to think links that end in .extension and lemme dowload the *.extension file when i click it are direct.
It doesn't let me do that. When I click your link I go here:

knutremi
Minecraft IGN: knutremi

Post by knutremi » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:53 pm

It's not the server plugin's fault either. That plugin only tells the Minecraft client to download the file at the URL it sends to the client. There are no files being passed to the plugin at all, and it's very important that none are, as the constant file transfers would lag up the server.

No, this plugin uses the client's built in support for downloading texture packs from a URL on the fly. Adding support for anything but URL's that cause a file with the mime-type application/zip to be served would be totally pointless. It would even be a dead end, as all the ways you would have to bypass landing sites would be virtually endless.
Don't beat yourself up.