Ze Future

Announcements visible to the public

Moderator: Minecraft Moderators

suicidal_banana
Minecraft IGN: suicidal_banana

Ze Future

Post by suicidal_banana » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:54 pm

Ok so since this apparently wasn't communicated yet, because its sorta scary, ill do it.
Hold on to your desk, seat, hat/hair, and privates, then scroll down.

Ok so the thing is, FakeTruth has made it clear that he wants to stop running the server, since hes never there anymore (like physically in the building) meaning he can hardly do stuff we (admins with remote access) cant, and because the thing is turning into a fire hazard (dusty always on machine) and he didnt play Minecraft for years now, so it sorta makes sense for him to stop hosting it.

Its currently sorta up for grabs who will host it in the future, although im fairly sure Knutremi will (though it needs to be said i only chatted with both shortly due too time constraints at that moment, so i may be wrong on this, but in any case im sure somebody will)

Backups of the server where created over the past few days (80gb lol) currently (to me) its unclear if these have been made available to the admins yet, but if they haven't, they will shortly, thats for sure.

All off the above said, FakeTruth already made clear he will still maintain the site/forum and is happy to forward mc.ae-c.net to whatever server ip belongs to whoever becomes the new host, so this isnt the end. (although personally i think it could be considered another step towards the end, but hopefully thats just me, and instead its a step towards an actual successful reboot of AE-C)

Thats pretty much all theres to say, not a whole lot of info, just to keep you all informed whats going on behind the curtains, and that things shouldn't be misinterpreted. (again, we're very much pushing on hosting elsewhere, its just a matter of getting the details worked out)

Nons
Minecraft IGN: Nons

Re: Ze Future

Post by Nons » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:17 pm

suicidal_banana wrote:Its currently sorta up for grabs who will host it in the future
Skylassie mentioned a few months ago that he'd happily host AE with his server, might wanna hit him up on that
So sad to see fake like this but it's perfectly understandable, it explains alot. Godspeed you magnificent bastard
Anywho I'll link sky to this topic so he can have his say on it
I ain't gonna get got. But if I get got, I gotta get got like I ain't get gotten got though

#MakeAlterEgoGreatAgain

Nons

Post by Nons » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:46 pm

Update
I ain't gonna get got. But if I get got, I gotta get got like I ain't get gotten got though

#MakeAlterEgoGreatAgain

FakeTruth
Site Admin
Minecraft IGN: FakeTruth

Post by FakeTruth » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:06 pm

I'm still here :D Just not gonna host a server anymore

knutremi
Minecraft IGN: knutremi

Post by knutremi » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:36 pm

I'm hurrying at an excruciatingly slow pace. I'm bringing it back online ASAP.

Also, I'm also gonna fund (others welcome too, I'll pay the rest) a new server machine but it's proving difficult to find the right one. Here are the requirements (subject to change)
Spoiler: show
  • Can be shipped to the Netherlands
  • Prebuilt
  • Low maintenance
  • Whisper quiet
  • Uses less than 30 W on average when in light use
  • Has at least 8 GB's of RAM
  • Room for lots of RAM
  • At least 500 GB's of storage space installed
  • Price lower than $1600
Don't beat yourself up.

suicidal_banana

Post by suicidal_banana » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:57 pm

Why ship it too the netherlands though?

And cant find anything matching your wishlist, you cant has power/extendibility for 30w.
Id suggest looking at a Asrock ITX board, they are beefy yet affordable and fairly power conservative.

I estimate you'd be looking at ~600-700 euros to buy a recent beefy asrock itx + a nice i7 and some 16gb of fast ram, and a nice large ssd. (oh and a case)

knutremi
Minecraft IGN: knutremi

Post by knutremi » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:21 am

suicidal_banana wrote:Why ship it too the netherlands though?
Because my only other hosting option is not really an option. I can't port forward my landline broadband, and I've only got 20 GB a month on my mobile broadband. That's not gonna cut it in the long run. Fake can of course say no though, which means we'll have to consider aditional options.
suicidal_banana wrote:you cant has power/extendibility for 30w
knutremi wrote:when in light use
The power supply on the hardware only determines the possible peak power consumption. I did not say I wanted processing power. On average fake's server used 1/4 of the CPU, which means processing power's not the issue.
suicidal_banana wrote:nice large ssd
We could alternatively be using a ramdisk or RAID 5 or 6. Probably not required right off the bat though.
Don't beat yourself up.

Nons

Post by Nons » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:24 pm

Skylassie's server computer is already up and running (I got bored and played solitaire on it for an hour yesterday) and it is pretty much the exact computer you guys just mentioned, it's also already based in the Netherlands and he mentioned buying an ssd yesterday

Isn't that problem solved?

#MakeAlterEgoGreatAgain

suicidal_banana

Post by suicidal_banana » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Depends if he wants to host it, and honestlly, if he can be trusted in that role, kinda forsee him going all dictator on people for the wrong reasons

Nons

Post by Nons » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:10 pm

suicidal_banana wrote:Depends if he wants to host it
He's wanted to for quite some time
buicidal_sanana wrote:If he can be trusted in that role, kinda forsee him going all dictator on people for the wrong reasons
That's actually something I've thought about too. Probably best that one of the admins talk to him first

#MakeAlterEgoGreatAgain