33%
Other (post below!!)
11%

Total votes: 9

knutremi
Minecraft IGN: knutremi

Want GriefPrevention in all worlds?

Post by knutremi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:46 pm

We've had cases where seemingly OK people have managed to get promoted to Member, yet they were caught doing some kind of grief either way. This means that incidents where griefs happen in other worlds than front_world could very well happen.

In addition, as GriefPrevention prevents interaction with almost anything inside a claim, I'm expecting it to get horse protection soon after Bukkit for 1.6.1 is released. It should also already prevent trampled crops and animal murders. This means that allowing GriefPrevention on all worlds is a viable option if we want additional protection features in other worlds. Perhaps only deny GriefPrevention in smashngrab.

However, adding GP to all worlds could cause problems. So what I want to figure out is if any of those who've used GriefPrevention think it could lead to problems in the other worlds. And whether you think we should add it to other worlds regardless. So what do you think?

sneaky banana edit; added poll
Don't beat yourself up.

suicidal_banana
Minecraft IGN: suicidal_banana

Re: Want GriefPrevention in all worlds?

Post by suicidal_banana » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Im still indifferent, one thing that keeps me worried is WorldGuard, having read trough the GP pages a bit apparently you can protect WorldGuard regions from being claimed (/adminclaims -> create claim overlapping region -> /trust public) but it would mean we have to manually 're-protect' all protected areas...

Looking a little further, there isnt any way (that i can find) to convert WG regions to GP regions, and thats a real shame, i dont even wanna think about how many regions we've created by now in 'world' alone

Also (if we dont already) we should configure GP to use a db, using the file-system for data storage is cute and all, but despite the GP creator's comments, databases are just faster and safer.

Finally we should install something like the below, because GP is still lacking in region settings compared to WG, but prolly not this specific one, since it uses godawfull yaml files to store data.
http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/gpflags/

I guess what im saying is that im up for it, if we can solve the WorldGuard conflict, and hopefully convert all existing WG regions to GP regions.
We'll also need to look at maybe making GP a little less 'intrusive' to new users, it may be just as simple as bombarding them with auto-messages about how to use GP and what the hell those gold+glowstone corners are, it may take more. But thats of less importance then the WG issues anyway.

CaptainZuzlike

Post by CaptainZuzlike » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:11 am

So GP isn't compatible with WE? If not, that must suck :/

suicidal_banana
Minecraft IGN: suicidal_banana

Post by suicidal_banana » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:05 pm

mostly correct, and yes it does suck

knutremi
Minecraft IGN: knutremi

Post by knutremi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:36 pm

As far as I've seen GP and WorldEdit can coexist. And it makes it dead simple to catch region hijackers, which probably would have griefed either way. I say we keep using WorldGuard for advanced region control, and GriefPrevention for simple player made claims.

We could add flags to GP, but I don't think it's necessary to replace WorldGuard. So I think things are OK the way they are in front_world now either way.
Don't beat yourself up.